In Memory Of
A. Lamar Matthews Jr.
November 1939 – March 2022
Call Toll Free
In 1991, A. Lamar Matthews co-founded Matthews Eastmoore, P.A. along with Ted Eastmoore, the predecessor of Eastmoore Crauwels & DuBose which Lamar continued to serve as Of Counsel. A few of Lamar's many accomplishments over the more than 50 years as a practicing Civil Trial Lawyer are listed below:
- In 2014, 12th Judicial Circuit Judges selected Lamar as one of 10 "Legal Legends" among lawyers and judges in Sarasota.
- Florida Governor Bob Graham chose Lamar to serve as Governor's General Counsel.
- President, University of Florida's Law School's Student Body.
- President, Young Lawyers Section, The Florida Bar.
- Member, The Florida Bar's Board of Governors.
- Member, The Florida Board of Bar Examiners.
- Member, United States District Judicial Nominating Commission for Florida.
- General Counsel, School Board of Sarasota County.
- Represented the Sarasota-Manatee Airport Authority, the Sarasota County Hospital Board, the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office, the Palm Beach County Airport Authority, and the City of Gainesville, Florida.
- Advocate for Sarasota libraries, elected to Library Foundation Board.
- Advocate for good government at local, state and federal levels.
Lamar was married to Janet Snyder Matthews, Ph.D. and was the proud father of three daughters.
- Doctor's Negligence
- Government Law
- Medical Malpractice
- Florida, 1964
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1966
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1983
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1987
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1985
- Florida Bar Young Lawyers' Division, Past President, Member
- Florida Board of Bar Examiners, Member, Board of Governors
- University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
- Stetson University, Florida
Certified Legal Specialties
- Super Lawyers